Background

Thursday, January 30, 2014

the teacher in me


A year and a half ago (Fall 2012), I was given the opportunity to teach remediation at the High School in the district I had taught in before Bella was born.  It would only be one day a week, small group pullouts with some intense focus on their weaknesses on the test--namely, expository writing.

I loved it.  It was so great to catch up with all of my students--at that time, my first group to teach were seniors and my last group to teach were sophomores, the grade I was working with.  I was able to dive back into the world of education for a limited time on a limited schedule.  The teacher in me was able to breathe again, but the mama in me only had to make minimal sacrifice.  It was grand.

Well last week, that opportunity reopened itself.  I was elated to be asked to come back.  As a teacher, I don't think you ever really feel like you've got it.  You don't ever really feel like you're great because you're always thinking of everything you could be doing better and more of.  To be requested made my heart flutter.

I was nervous that I wasn't going to be able to go back.  Just two weeks before that call, I had begun keeping another little girl (only 3 months old and absolutely adorable--totes magoats :P).  I was loving getting to keep her and have two little sweeties to love on every day.  But when I got the message about the remediation opportunity at the high school again, I was a little sad that I might not be able to take it.

However, all the details worked out that I only go to the school on Wednesdays (the only day I don't keep the baby).  I then had to decide if it was worth giving up my one day off with Arabella; if it was worth finding someone to keep her and then leave her; if it was worth adding another really big responsibility to my already full plate...  Hunter and I talked about it quite a bit, and we really both felt led for me to take it.  I still get a lot of time in with Bella--and my heart yearned to be back in a classroom (more than I had realized).


Yesterday was my first day.

Again, I loved getting to catch up with so many of my students!  I didn't actually see any kids because I was busy getting paperwork and files and planning done.  However, the faces all my dears made when they passed by and saw me there were priceless.  The hugs and the smiles and the "I miss you!"'s are something I cherish dearly...

Another perk of the day was getting to see the test scores from the last group I had taught in remediation.  Most, but not all, passed; but they all improved.  And let me tell you...the ones who passed, kicked some major test toosh!  I was SO excited to see how well they had done!  Sometimes it just takes a little boost in confidence and some clearing of the cobwebs.

I try my hardest not to write any kid off--they start with me with a clean slate and endless opportunity.  I cannot wait to get started next week teaching, mentoring, and counseling these kids.

So last month, I was a stay at home mama with no other jobs and that was ay-okay with me.  Within a few weeks' time, I became a stay at home mama with three other jobs (I also begin tutoring today)--and that is still ay-okay with me.  Because each of these jobs opportunities allows me to live my passion and help kids.  From 3 months to 17 years...I love them all.

My heart was made to be a mama.  But not all of my babies get to come home and live with me...  "My kids" will always be my kids; precious, precious people whom I love dearly!


I am so excited to teach them, but I'm also so excited to see what I learn from them.

Make a difference.  Somewhere.  For somebody.  Be the good in their day.

love, angie

No comments:

Post a Comment